The Camelēr’s Chicken Pie
- 500g chicken thighs or breast, cut into cubes
- 1 diced onion 3 carrot, peeled & diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 300g frozen peas
- 10g fresh coriander, minced
- 100g butter
- 1 TBSP oil
- 85g flour
- 1 liter chicken or vegetable stock (2 stock pots/cubes)
- 60ml cream
- 6 tsp SOFRITO by Camelēr Spice Co.
- Salt, to taste
- Puff Pastry sheets
- 1 egg, whisked for brushing puff pastry
- 1 sprinkle of Maldon sea salt
We have tried this classic and comforting recipe with kitchen staple ingredients. For a more familiar take, we recommend using the SOFRITO. However, for a more adventurous flavour adding the HAWAIJ spice blend with create an incredible depth to a classic recipe. We honestly cannot choose a favourite.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and oil and add the onion and a pinch of salt and cook over medium high heat until the onions begin to soften, 5-10 minutes. Then add the celery & carrots and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and the SOFRITO or HAWAIJ spice blend to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute, stirring continuously to combine.
- Then add flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C (fan).
- Add the stock to the pot and simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring every couple of minutes, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables start to soften.
- Add a large pinch of salt, then add the cubed chicken and poach in the sauce for 20-30 min.
- Add the peas, and minced coriander and stirring to combine.
- Finally, stir in the juice of ½ a lemon and taste for seasoning. Remove the mixture from the heat and finish the filling by adding in the cream and stirring until well combined.
- Add the filling to a pie dish leaving some room for the filling, brush the edges of the dish with the whisked egg. Cut your puff pastry to fit over the top of the baking dish, crimp the edges of the pastry to seal around the dish and make some slits into it to allow for ventilation while baking.
- Place your finished pies on a baking sheet, brush the tops of the pastry with a bit of the whisked egg, sprinkle some Maldon salt on to the pastry and bake for about 30-35 minutes until the pastry is puffed and nicely browned.
- Allow the pie to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving and serve with our mashed potatoes and steamed greens.