French Roast Ham
French glazed ham for Winter suppers and the Christmas season. Perfect for sandwich leftovers. N.B. Most of the prep time is for pre soaking (if required) and cooling.
120' + 150' preparation & cooking time
Quatre Épices spice
3 Kg of ham or gammon
French honeyed glaze
- 2 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp of clear honey
- Grated rind of one orange
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tsp of Quatre Épices
A 3kg of ham off the bone will serve about 6 to 8 people.
- We would recommend soaking the ham for a minium of 2 hours in cold water changing a couple of times or at least leave to soak overnight. Ask your butcher or read the packet instructions. This might need to be done to eliminate excessive salt that may have happened during the curing process.
- Bring the ham to the boil and then simmer the ham for approximately 1 hour. Typically you should allow 20 minutes per kg. Once removed from the heat, leave the ham to cooldown in the saucepan of water for an hour after cooking.
- Place cooled ham on a chopping board. Remove excess fat with a sharp knife and score in a criss cross pattern ready for the glaze.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees and put the ham on a roasting tray.
For the glaze
- Mix all the glaze ingredients in a bowl. Paint the ham generously with the glaze and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven a couple of times to baste with more glaze.