Stacked Ethiopian Cheeseburger
If you are going to go all out, then this is the burger. Sometimes, more is more.
5' + 16' preparation & cooking time
The Beef burger
- 500g beef mince
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp MITMITA spice blend by Camelēr Spice Cº
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 banana shallot, diced
- 1 slice of bread, cut crust
- 40ml milk
- 2 TBSP oil
- 4 TBSP ketchup
- 1 tsp MITMITA spice blend by Camelēr Spice Cº
- 4 brioche sesame seed burger buns, halved
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 4 slices of cheese (options: American, cheddar or gouda)
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- Fresh lettuce leaves, picked
- 2 TBSP mayonnaise
- Marinaded MITMITA Chicken breast escalope (optional)
- Add the oil to a frying pan and heat to medium then fry the onion and spices until softened, for about 10 minutes. Cooking the spices at this stage helps them bloom and releases their optimum flavour.
- Meanwhile, make the spiced ketchup by mixing together the MITMITA spice blend and your choice of ketchup brand, set aside.
- Once the onions are softened add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes until fragrant, then set the mix aside to cool.
- Soak the bread with the milk and mash it up to make a paste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the meat, the onion mixture, the bread paste and combine thoroughly. Use your hands and really get stuck in.
- Divide the mixture into 4 balls and shape it into disks, adding a dent in the middle of the patty. Cover and set aside until ready to use. You might need to use grease proof paper to stop them sticking together.
- Cook either in pan or BBQ to the desired doneness.
- If using a pan; heat a large non-stick frying pan or griddle pan over medium heat and brush the cut sides of the buns liberally with melted butter. Toast in the hot pan until really golden and toasted.
- To cook the beef patties, turn the heat of the pan to high heat, we like ours medium, so cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- We suggest assembling the burger with the following layers: mayonnaise, lettuce leaves, tomatoes, beef burger, cheese slices, onion rings, ketchup on the top bun. Add a MITMITA marinaded chicken breast escalope for a full stacked burger effect.