Spiced Creme Brûlée
A spiced chocolate treat to tickle your taste buds.
15'+30' preparation & cooking time
Quatre Épices spice
- 4 egg yolks
- 50g sugar
- 60g plain chocolate, chopped finely
- 2 tsp Quatre Épices by Camelēr Spice Co.
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- Pre heat the oven to 140°C/ 120°C fan / Gas 2.
- Separate the eggs, and reserve the whites for our pavlova recipe.
- Whisk the yolks, sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- On a medium heat, in saucepan, bring to the boil, the milk cream, vanilla and Quatre Épices spices. Bring to the boil and then remove from the heat and whisk the chocolate through.
- Once combined gently begin tempering the egg yolks but adding a few splashes at a time of the spiced chocolate milk mixture to the yolks while continually whisking. Add the rest of the chocolate milk mixture, whisking in between additions.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve in to a pouring jug.
- In a bain-marie, or roasting dish, add 3-4 ramekins, and pour the custard into them, until ¾ full.
- Add boiling water to the baking dish, and place in the pre-heated oven and cook for 30-40 min. You want to check for a really nice wobble when they are done
- Refridgerate for at least 2 hours.
- Once ready to serve, add 1-2 tsp of sugar onto the surface of the creme brûlée and using a blow torch or your grill on high heat, caramelise the sugar until deep golden brown.