Persian Lamb stew infused with the flavours of black lime, saffron and rose petal. Sensational with mash potatoes or rice. A beautiful and flavourful winter warmer.
10' + 90' preparation & cooking time
Advieh-E Khoresh spice
- 1kg lamb neck fillets (Try and source from a local butcher)
- 2 TBSP mild olive oil or sunflower oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 2 carrots, cut into thin wedges
- 1 leek, cut into thin slices
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ TBSP Advieh-E KHORESH by Camelēr Spice Co.
- 1 preserved lemon (from a jar), drained and cut into thin wedges
- 100g ready-to-eat dried apricot
- 100g ready-to-eat dried prunes
- 50g shelled pistachios, half kept whole, half chopped
- 1 litres water
- 10g cornflour
- Small bunch fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- A sprinkle of pomegranate seeds
- Cooked couscous or basmati rice or creamy mash potatoes, to serve
- Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Trim the lamb by removing any hard fat, then cut into chunks and season with salt. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and brown the lamb in batches over a high heat for 1-2 mins on each side and until lightly coloured.
- Add oil in the same dish and reduce the heat medium. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and fry for 5 mins or until softened and taking on a little colour. Add the carrots, and fry for another 5 min then stir in the garlic and Advieh Khoresh spice blend together with 1 tsp flaked sea salt and cook for 1 min, stirring until fragrant. Return the lamb and add 1 litres of water together with the preserved lemons. Stirring the stew a few times, bring to a gentle simmer. After that, cover the stew with a lid and place in the oven to cook for 1 hr.
- Remove the dish from the oven and stir in the dried fruits and half the pistachios, then cover and return to the oven to cook for an additional 30 mins or until the lamb is very tender.
- Transfer the dish to the hob over a medium heat and taste to adjust the seasoning. If you want to thicken the sauce, mix together the cornflour and 2 tbsp cold water, then stir into the stew. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 mins or until the sauce thickens till liking.
- To serve, sprinkle over remaining nuts and garnish with coriander and pomegranate serve with rice or with our creamy mash potatoes.