Buckwheat Banana Bread
Buckwheat flour can often be one of those flours that you have in your pantry, but you are not sure what to do with it. Let us tell you, encompassing the banana and the Quatre Épices alongside the buckwheat flour, this loaf is not alone healthy but it is delicious.
15'+50' preparation & cooking time
Quatre Épices spice
- Buckwheat Flour (210g)
- Brown Sugar (75g)
- 2 tsp Quatre Épices
- 2 tsp of Baking Powder
- Pinch of table salt
- 4 large very ripe bananas (400g)
- ⅓ cup of olive oil (75ml)
- Dark Chocolate chunks (50g)
- 2 tsp of Vanilla Bean Paste/ Vanilla extract
- Toasted Hazelnuts (20g)
Often people say buckwheat flour has a rather earthy and nutty flavour with a very unique taste. Buckwheat flour can often be one of those flours that you have in your pantry, but you are not sure what to do with it. Let us tell you, encompassing the banana and the Quatre Épices alongside the buckwheat flour, this loaf is not alone healthy but it is delicious. Buckwheat is actually a gluten free flour. It is the allspice, clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg of the Quatre Épices that really pairs well with the banana.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (350 F)
- Toast the (optional hazelnuts) for 5 minutes. Walnuts or pecans will also work well.
- In a large bowl, combine the buckwheat flour, sugar, Quatre Épices spice blend, salt, chocolate chunks, nuts and baking powder, mixing well.
- Mash the bananas, oil and vanilla paste together, adding and folding into the above ingredients' in the large mixing bowl.
- Place the batter in a slightly greased or greaseproof paper lined 8x4 inch loaf tin. A good tip is to lightly coat the greased tin with a layer of fine breadcrumbs if you do not use greaseproof paper. The loaf will slide from the tin once baked with great ease.
- Bake in the middle shelf for 50 minutes
- Let cool for a good 20 minutes before you enjoy. It would pair beautifully with some peanut butter or apricot jam.
- This loaf will keep for 3-5 days in a sealed container in the fridge. It freezes very well for up to 3 months.
- Make it vegan by using vegan chocolate of your choice. We would choose 70% coca dark at a minimum.